Service for rent notices and in-state subpoenas, etc., is $12.00. (No charge for Juvenile cases, if General District Court or Circuit Court collect fees, we do not collect additional fees.) Out-of-State service fees are $75.00.
§ 17.1-272. Process and service fees generally.
A. The fee for process and service in the following instances shall be $12:
1. Service on any person, firm, or corporation, an order, notice, summons, or any other civil process, except as herein otherwise provided, and for service on any person, firm, or corporation any process when the body is not taken and making a return thereof, except that no fee shall be charged for service pursuant to § 2.2-4022.
2. Summoning a witness or garnishee on an attachment.
3. Service on any person of an attachment or other process under which the body is taken and making a return thereon.
4. Service of any order of court not otherwise provided for, except that no fees shall be charged for protective orders issued pursuant to Chapter 11 (§ 16.1-226 et seq.) of Title 16.1.
5. Making a return of a writ of fieri facias where no levy is made or forthcoming bond is taken.
6. Summoning a witness in any case in which custody or visitation of a minor child or children is at issue.
B. The fees for process and service in the following instances shall be $25:
1. Service and publication of any notice of a publicly-advertised public sale.
2. Service of a writ of possession, except that there shall be an additional fee of $12 for each additional defendant.
3. Levying upon current money, bank notes, goods, or chattels of a judgment debtor pursuant to § 8.01-478.
4. Service of a declaration in ejectment on any person, firm or corporation, except that there shall be an additional fee of $12 for each additional defendant.
5. Levying distress warrant or an attachment.
6. Levying an execution.
C. The process and service fee for serving any papers returnable out of state shall be $75, except no fees shall be charged for the service of papers in connection with the prosecution of any misdemeanor or felony domestic violence offense, or in connection with the filing, issuance, registration, or service of a protection order or a petition for protection order, to protect a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault. A victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault shall not bear the costs associated with the filing of criminal charges against the offender, or the costs associated with the filing, issuance, registration, or service of a warrant, protection order, petition for a protection order, or witness subpoena, issued inside or outside the Commonwealth.
D. The fees set out in this section shall be allowable for services provided by such officers in the circuit and district courts.
Copyright © 2009 Warren County Sheriff's Department
All Rights Reserved.